How to find out who hold the note.

How to find out who hold the note.

I have found a property that I have seen vacant for a long time and after location the owner. I learned that the owner has passed away and his house went back to the bank. Now im trying to find out, how can look up which mortage company hold the note to the property. The family wanted to take over payment of the house when the bank was gonna foreclosure on the property 2 years ago. And like always the bank didnt pay the tax lien so the property redemption period is coming up and the family want the property but doesnt want to fix it up. And they say the bank that they had isnt holding the note anylonger. And im just curious what can i do


tax assessor

Go to the tax assessor's offfice and see who is on title for the taxes.

already tried that

I cant. I dont live there no more. So I went to the county website and look at its public records and nothing was found. So I called the county assessor office and inquired about the records and they dont put the title records on the website. I was hoping there was a way I could look a website that might have that data already collected. I already tried homeinfomax but nothing came up

Title Company

Maybe a title company can run a report for you. Well, I'm not sure if you're in a judicial state or a non-judicial state, but here the title companies can find that stuff out. If you don't have a relationship with any of them, you might have to pay for a title report or at least they could direct you where to look.

Find Bank

is the home in town or out in the country?Tax assessor office, is there anyone there where the property is that could go down to the tax assessor office and check for you, equalization office could tell you to and give at least the owner and other info.The Title Company may be the best place if all these other offices cant help, then you would know even more about the property through them, you would have every thing then, much success, Jim



What state is the property

What state is the property located in? Are you saying the bank foreclosed in a judicial foreclosure and the heirs have a redemption period to get the property back?


thanks Jim and mbjoseph for the info. TRSD its my understanding from what they told me the bank foreclosed on the property and the son sent a letter to the bank and asked if he could take over the payment and the bank didnt respond to him. The State is Alabama and I dont how whats the diffrence between judicial foreclosure and any other.


Non-Judicial foreclosure states, your lender does not have to go to court in order to foreclose on your home. "ALABAMA" is a non judicial state. This means that the foreclosure can proceed more quickly.

A "Judicial" state means the lender has to go to court to foreclose. We all know how slow the courts are....

ALSO - ALABAMA - Attorneys and title companies handle closings. Conveyance is by warranty deed. Mortgages are the customary security instruments. Foreclosures are non-judicial. Foreclosure notices are published once a week for three weeks on a county-by-county basis. The foreclosure process takes a minimum of 21 days from the date of first publication. After the sale, there is a one-year redemption period. Alabamans use ALTA policies to insure titles. Buyers and sellers negotiate who is going to pay the closing costs and usually split them equally. Property taxes are due and payable annually on October 1st.



Thanks for the info Walt!

Sel - fastest way to find out who's on title is to contact an attorney or title company and have them examine title. I've done it a few times and it's not too expensive, generally $75 - 200 depending on the extent of the work.

Good luck,

- Tom

Syndicate content