Is $500 to low for a deposit?

I am in CA, my realtor just gave up on me. She says that $500 is too low? Here what she says:

Hi Ricky,

As your realtor, I'd like to advise you that we will not get anywhere with any of our offers if we only give $500 earnest money deposit, for the following reasons:

1. The seller/bank will not put their property off the market for 17-21 days ( to give you time to do your home investigation and/or get your loan approval) for a mere $500 compensation to them should you decide not to get the property or should your loan not get approved.

2. You are competing with all cash ivestors who are willing to give the 3% earnest money deposit.

Putting a limit of $500 on your earnest money deposit only shows that you are not that serious about getting into any Real Estate transaction and we are just spinning our wheels needlessly. Until such time when you can be ready to do so, I can no longer represent you in any other transactions.

Any advice anyone in CA?

__________________

Lots of other..

agents that will work with you out there. After all why should a $500 EMD be so important to anyone unless they were looking to make some money from the deposit themselves? Find yourself another agent, or just increase your EMD check to $1000(just make a copy and give it to her), but still keeping your stipulations in place. Better yet, write a promissory note instead.

__________________

Bryant Slade

You don't want that agent

First of all any earnest money deposit you put up is not compensation, if you can't get a loan or if the property doesn't pass inspection. You get that money back if you can't get a loan or the property doesn't pass inspection. Make sure your contract has an inspection clause in it, which your does obviously, and a financing clause.

If you want to cause problems for this agent, to make life better for the next investor that comes along, then you should contact the broker/manager and file a complaint against that agent. Forward the email to the manager and express your concerns about the ethics of the real estate company and the people they hire.

In the meantime find a new agent, get a deal done, and make some money!

__________________

You've got to find your obstacles and call them out! Unsheath the sword, and do battle with whatever it is that holds you back!

Advise

As everyone else has advise find a excellent Realtor. All an EMD is, is a good faith deposit. Find a Realtor willing to work (partner) with you instead against what you are doing. God Bless with your REI. Smiling

__________________

"I will NOT BE BROKE! ANYMORE!"
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent,
the Merciful.
22.He is Allah besides Whom there is no God: The Knower of the unseen and the seen; He is the Beneficent, the Merciful.
23. He is Allah besides Whom there is no God: the King, the Holy, the Author of Peace,the Granter of Security, Guardian over all, the Mighty, the Supreme, the Possessor of greatness. Glory be to Allah from that which they set up (with Him)!
24. He is Allah: the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner: His are the most beautiful names. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares His glory: and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

thank you

thank you all for your support, i'm on my way finding new agent and 1st deal!!

I agree...

I agree with the above posts. After e-mailing 25 agents, I received one agent who is EXCITED to work with me in this. Here is the reply e-mail I received from her:

Dear Destrie,

Thank you so much for contacting me and giving me this opportunity to work with you! What you are doing sounds very exciting and I'd love to be a part of it! I did take a minute and looked at your website and I really like the fact that you give home owners on the verge of foreclosure information on what they can do, very helpful to a lot of people I'm sure! I have also noticed your signs around Hampton and have been curious as to who you are and what you are doing.

My name is Kathy Stanbrough and I'm the Owner/Broker of Abbott Realty in Hampton. I have been in real estate since January 2000 and just got my Broker's licenses in the fall of 2008. I became the new owner and acting broker for Abbott Realty in June of 2009. Although I'm a "new" Broker that doesn't mean I don't have the experience and expertise of an older Broker. I started as the secretary at Abbott Realty and before the end of 2000 I had my Sales Associate license. Each year I have increased my sales volume for both listings and sold properties. I have basically been doing the Broker's "actions" since then. I was authorized on ALL the previous Broker's accounts including the Trust account. I was preparing settlement statements and doing my own closings within my first couple of years of being licensed. I was above and beyond the typical Sales Associate as my previous Broker had been wanting to retire for years and basically left me to handle the majority of her duties. At first it was annoying but in the long run she did me a huge favor as taking the Broker test was rather easy for me and making the transaction from employee to owner was fairly easy too because I have basically been doing it for years anyway. There are bascially 4 active real estate shops in Hampton. I am the youngest Broker in Hampton, I will be turning 30 this November and all the other Brokers are at least in their 40's or older. I feel this gives me a huge advantage as the majority of them to be stuck in their "old school" ways. I have received numerous compliments on my website as I offer more interior and exterior pictures then any other firms websites. I can communicate through phone, email, text messaging or any other form that is asked of me.

I am NOT scared to present low ball offers, in fact I have been astounded how many of my low ball offers have been accepted. I have gained a investor client through the misfortution of another agent in Hampton that is still currently selling. I had a property for sale and the investor client had looked at it twice with the other agent, but the other agent refused to present his low ball offer. SO the investor called me and I presented his verbal offer. We did negotiate for a day or 2, but the end result was the investor got the property at a very reasonable price and it is currently his best cash flowing property. I have also presented an offer for $60,000 less then the asking price on an acreage that was listed at $120,000, we never did agree on terms on the deal, but I did present the offer even though it made the Seller mad. Basically I have no problem presenting a low ball offer, the worse the Seller can say is no and my Buyer isn't out anything. I currently have properties listed that I encourage people looking at the property to make a low ball offer to get the Seller into reality. I am currently the Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae rep for Franklin County and have just signed up with AmTrust to be their agent for the area also. I am the ONLY agent in Hampton who is able to sell a Hud property

I feel I would be the best agent for the job because I'm young and I'm hungry. I'm a single mother of a 5 year old and I just bought my own business. I have a mortgage, I have a car loan, I have a business loan, the thought of not making it scares the hell out of me and is the best motivation I have, other then my son. I'm hard working and honest, I call things like I see them. I have worked for what I have, I didn't go to college and nothing was handed to me. I have worked in a factory, I have been a waitress, I have been a telemarketer, and I have been a CNA. I don't expect things to be giving to me and was raised knowing that I will have to work for what I want. Both of my parents are hard working people and out of their 4 children, I was the only girl so I know how to hold my own. I am caring and compassionate to people in need, however I don't let my feelings about a situation interfere with my job, it's nothing personal, it's business.

I hope I helped you in making your decision. I would also love the opportunity to meet with you in person so you can see for yourself what kind of person I am and how I conduct my business affairs.

You can reach me at the office at (641) 456-4707, on my cell at (641) 430-3821 or through email.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Kathy Stanbrough
Owner/Iowa Real Estate Broker
Abbott Realty Inc.
2 - 1st St NW
Hampton, IA 50441
Phone (641) 456-4707
FAX (641) 456-5643
Cell (641) 430-3821
Email: katy@abbottrealty.us
Website: www.abbottrealty.us

Date: __________________
Time:________________________________________________________
Buyer's Address:
ACCEPTANCE
The undersigned Seller(s) has read, fully understands and verifies the
above information as being correct and accepts the foregoing offer;
agreeing to sell the herein described property on the terms and conditions
herein specified and acknowledges receipt of a signed copy.
Witness
Seller
Witness
Seller
Date: __________________
Time:________________________________________________________
Seller's Address

__________________

Bryant Slade

Assignment provision

is already there in the contract (see bolded section).

___(Your Name)___________________________ or his/her/their assignee(s), hereinafter
_______________________________________________________________________________.

Date: __________________
Time:________________________________________________________
Seller's Address

__________________

"I will NOT BE BROKE! ANYMORE!"
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent,
the Merciful.
22.He is Allah besides Whom there is no God: The Knower of the unseen and the seen; He is the Beneficent, the Merciful.
23. He is Allah besides Whom there is no God: the King, the Holy, the Author of Peace,the Granter of Security, Guardian over all, the Mighty, the Supreme, the Possessor of greatness. Glory be to Allah from that which they set up (with Him)!
24. He is Allah: the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner: His are the most beautiful names. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth declares His glory: and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

Here is a thought

dantheman24 wrote:
lets say you agree with the seller to have an EMD of 1,000 dollars due 10 days after contract acceptance, giving ample time to match up buyer, do you still have to give the seller like 100 dollars or something, or is it possible to buy with NO money down, not even a single dollar? or does it all depend on the seller. cause lets say the deal doesn't go through for whatever reason, i hate to lose my 100 bucks Sad.

I have never tried this, but it might work. If you put an amount into the contract for earnest money, and allow the seller to continue to market the property until you provide the the earnest money, the seller would have nothing at risk. Then when you find a buyer, have them put up the earnest money to lock up the purchase. You are taking some risk that the seller will find another buyer before you are able to provide the money, but you would not need to go into your pocket.

Al

__________________

"NOW GO FIND A DEAL"

Watch your thoughts; They become words,
Watch your words; They become actions,
Watch your actions; They become habits,
Watch your habits; They become character,
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Okay

Thanks....I wasn't sure if that was it, or if I would've had to insert one of my own somewhere. Thanks again for pointing that out to me though.

__________________

Bryant Slade

yea

alchristmann wrote:
dantheman24 wrote:
[...]

I dont think the seller can market the property because I have a contract with him/her and this is assuming he accepts the term "earnest money/initial deposit due within 10 days or this contract is null and void".

make it part of your offer

Make the "continue to market" stipulation part of your offer. If the seller accepts the offer, this becomes part of the contract. I have had agreements with buyers that allowed me to continue to market a property until they cleared a contingency.

Al

__________________

"NOW GO FIND A DEAL"

Watch your thoughts; They become words,
Watch your words; They become actions,
Watch your actions; They become habits,
Watch your habits; They become character,
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Another Option?

Ask one of your cash buyers (who you are assigning the property to) put down the earnest money? I would think they wouldn't want to miss a good deal and would be willing to do this. I've never done a deal so maybe there is something I'm missing.

There are so many good suggestions/ideas on this thread that give so many different options - I've added it to my favorites.

Lea
SPR Property Solutions, LLC

BAD REALTOR

Find another realtor that is willing to work with you and make the offers. I know of some people that put up $10, yes, 10bucks in earnest money on deals. Your current realtor might not understand what you are trying to do. I'd go searching for a better realtor, clearly explain to them what your goals are and what you have in mind. You will find a good one, just do some searching.

Jeremy

__________________

This train, Dreams will not be thwarted
This train, Faith will be rewarded
Big wheel roll through fields where sunlight streams
Meet me in the Land Of Hope And Dreams

Bruce Springsteen

fracarell789

fracarell789 wrote:
Ask one of your cash buyers (who you are assigning the property to) put down the earnest money? I would think they wouldn't want to miss a good deal and would be willing to do this. I've never done a deal so maybe there is something I'm missing.

There are so many good suggestions/ideas on this thread that give so many different options - I've added it to my favorites.

Lea
SPR Property Solutions, LLC

Until you have an accepted offer from the seller, you do not have anything to sell to your end buyer. The earnest money is normally due when the offer is accepted. This would not give you time to work out a deal with your end buyer and get the money from them.

Al

__________________

"NOW GO FIND A DEAL"

Watch your thoughts; They become words,
Watch your words; They become actions,
Watch your actions; They become habits,
Watch your habits; They become character,
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Off topic

I'm sorry to go off-topic here, but I really need a quick answer to a very important question regarding a promissory note. Sorry for rudely interrupting the current topic, but it seems as though noone ever responds to any of my posts for some reason or the other.I'd like to arrange it so that I give absolutely no monies whatsoever to the seller as well as to get rid of the interest clause in this template that I intend to use.
PROMISSORY NOTE

$______________ Dated_____________
Principal Amount State of: lemoyne, Pa

In installments as herein stated, for value receive, we jointly and severally, promise to pay ________________________________________________, Husband and wife, or order, at ____________________________________________, the sum of ________________________, with interest from _______________________________
on unpaid principal at the rate of __________%( ) per cent per annum, interest payable in installments of __________________ or more on the _____ day of each ____________ , beginning on the ______ day of ________________ and continuing until ___________________ at which time all principal and accrued interest shall be due and payable in full.

This note may be prepaid in whole or in part at any time without penalty.

In the event of sale, alienation or conveyance of all or any portion of the property described in the mortgage securing this note, whether voluntary or involuntary and irrespective of the maturity dates expressed herein, and indebtedness or obligation hereunder, at the option of the holder, shall immediately become due and payable.

Should the holder of the note, for reason, wish to take payment in full or in part of this note, in advance of the maturity date, they may do so with forty-five days advance notice to the parties, herein, without payment or penalty.

Should default be made in payment of any installment of principal or interest when due the whole sum of principal and interest shall, at the option of the holder of this note, become immediately due. Principal and interest payable in lawful money of the United States. If action be instituted on this note we promise to pay such sum as the Court may fix as attorney fee. This note is secured by a Promise to Pay and will be amended and secured by a property, to be determined within (90) days.

__________________

Bryant Slade

not sure I understand your question

Go ahead and use the promissory note for your earnest money. Put escape clauses in your offer. If your offer is accepted, you will have a preset amount of time to excercise your inspections or whatever escape clauses you have put in. If you do not find a buyer for the property, then withdraw your offer as set up in the contract (escape clause). Your earnest money (promissory note) will be returned and and you owe nothing. If you do not follow the language of the contract, then the seller would have claim to the earnest money (promissory note) and you would need to pay them as set up in the note. Do what you agree to do in the contract and it won't cost you a dime.

Al

__________________

"NOW GO FIND A DEAL"

Watch your thoughts; They become words,
Watch your words; They become actions,
Watch your actions; They become habits,
Watch your habits; They become character,
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Al

Hello Al,

Did you get my PM? I wanted to ask you a question that didn't particularly coincide with this topic and didn't want to take the thread off track.

Thanks,

Rob

ok

alchristmann wrote:
Make the "continue to market" stipulation part of your offer. If the seller accepts the offer, this becomes part of the contract. I have had agreements with buyers that allowed me to continue to market a property until they cleared a contingency.

Al

o ok. would i have to put that in writing as well? i just don't want my end buyer to go around my back and buy the property himself.

dantheman24

Yes you would need to make it part of the written contract with the seller (to protect the seller). Tell the end buyer that you have a contract that you want to assign for a set price. The end buyer will see the marketing agreement, and could go around you. You are taking additional risk because you are not able to come up with the money yourself. If your buyer does go around you, I don't think this is a buyer you would want to do deals with. You may be able to put the "continue to market" agreement in an addendum to the contract, which you would not need to show to the end buyer because that addendum does not affect them.

Al

"NOW GO FIND A DEAL"

Watch your thoughts; They become words,
Watch your words; They become actions,
Watch your actions; They become habits,
Watch your habits; They become character,
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Syndicate content